The Old Man’s Dreams . . . by Jim Grandjean

Published on: Author: bette 8 Comments
What dreams await us? To what journeys will the darkness take us?
Endless are the castles of sand and taunting whispers that echo back through the sunlight and then like phantoms are gone. The common destiny of all creatures is to live and die, and in the process gather up the best versions of their lives. And in the end, after a ledger of years, how do we differentiate reality from illusion, fact from fantasy, or a definitive difference of either. This is a story about the past, coming together with the present and a wandering spirit ready to be free.

8 Responses to The Old Man’s Dreams . . . by Jim Grandjean Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Hi Jim … I’m just wondering where this story had been published? It’s really wonderful … Looking forward to reading more from you!

• Thanks Bette, not published yet. Will put it on Amazon eventually with my other short stories. Again, thank you for your comment

2. Great ending line. What I like about Jim’s writing is the slow, meandering, descriptive pace he uses.

• Thanks, Berma. I’m assuming that since you have posted in this “thread” you will be notified when other people comment. What I DON’T know if whether or not you will be notified when people comment on someone else’s comment (like this one.) I just commented on Jim’s comment and wonder if you were notified of that????

Arghhhh! This is confusing for me … no wonder it’s hard for other luddites to jump in!!!

• You’re welcome, Jim. Thanks for helping me figure out how this is working … I’m assuming that you have been or will be notified about Berma’s comment now.

3. I’m not sure how to respond to this. I’m having trouble finding the ‘write’ words.

Your story brought back memories of my grandfather. Good memories. And my senses were awakened with the smells of fried chicken, boiling corn,and fresh baked bread in a farm house kitchen I once knew.

Thank you Jim for sharing this story with us.

• Thanks for this, Janet! When I first read Jim’s story I thought about a couple of dreams my 96-year-old mother has told me about. I’m going to post that on comment when I get some time ….