The Secret Garden . . . by Nancy

Published on: Author: bette 10 Comments

The Secret Garden - Illustration

I wrote this about my mom and read it at “Artistic License” at the Brian Scott Gallery

A secret garden door leads the way into my mother’s heart. In the past year and a half we have been wandering through a difficult garden. Since she moved in with us, we have been marking boundaries, desperately trying to create spaces for our flowers to grow……

CLICK HERE: The Secret Garden

10 Responses to The Secret Garden . . . by Nancy Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Bette! Thanks so much for the updates on the categories! I have mostly used my phone…cos my laptop was broken for 6 mos last year and never read the comments from Berma or Sue…or, even you! So please delete this comment…but I also sent you the pic of the actual picture that I was writing about and noticed you never posted it…(remember, we were supposed to pick a painting to write about…and actually, Angela had me change to a bigger one for the reading cos it was so tiny)…now I can’t even remember the name of it! So…this probably means you don’t know where it is…I will have to see where it is and resend it ha! So delete this comment please.But thanks…the site is great and IT WILL MAKE ME START WRITING AGAIN THIS YEAR!!!! 🙂

• OK, Nancy … I’ll delete your comment … but before I do I want to see how this works. I just posted a reply to Berma’s comment on the question I asked about how the site looks on a cellphone. http://artistcommunity.edublogs.org/2016/03/27/a-question-from-bette/#comment-250 (That’s the link to that comment … looks like it will work :-)!)

I THINK you will be notified of this post. ….

The point I’m trying to make is that I’m not interested in maintaining this site as just an “archive” for people’s work … but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to maintain it as a “REAL” on-line writing group where people can “talk” about their writing …. like the title says “AN INTERACTIVE FOCUS GROUP FOR WRITERS.”

(PS … I think that Berma and Sue will be notified because they commented on “The Secret Garden” when it was first posted. Let me know … :-)!) b

2. OH… how beautiful. I am literally a farmer’s daughter from North Dakota. In the midst of all the crop land in a very harsh environment of mostly winter my mother and my grandmothers created beautiful gardens filled with lush flowers willing to take on the North Dakota climate. What I remember most are the peony’s giant blooms that ranged from deep to pale pinks. And a giant blue delphinium that grew like a bush of blue stars, that I tried and failed to transplant in New Mexico.

My mother was transplanted to the desert after retirement and she never stopped gardening. She collected rain water in buckets on the patio because her plants didn’t “like” the city water. My visits to her house always included a walk through her garden. I still have the off spring of her Christmas Cactus that never failed to bloom in her house but in mine it is only willing to put on 2-3 blossoms.

Ahhhh what lovely memories your writing has inspired. Thank you, Nancy.

• Glad you found it! I figured out why you had trouble …. and I changed how it looks when you first see the title. I copied the first few sentences so that the picture shows right away when you click “continue reading.” I’ve also figured out how to add a picture to the PDF … so if you want I can put it on that as well …. Let me know!

• Hi Sue!

I’m spending time this morning editing this page and trying to reconnect with people who have posted in the past. Click on “ABOUT” in the top right corner and that will explain what we’re doing. The BROOKINGS WRITER’S FORUM didn’t meet in August but we are planning to meet in September. Even if you can’t make the meetings I hope you’ll stay connected on-line! :-)!

• Hi again, Sue!!!

Time is moving so fast … and I was surprised to see your comments here! I completely forgot about what I was doing last August when I wrote that reply! A lot has changed for me – and for the group – and I’m beginning to re-think “Artists in Community.” I don’t know if you’ll receive a notification … but would love to hear from you! I’m in Palm Desert but will be back in Brookings in few weeks. Hope to see you soon!

3. Thanks Bette! I am glad that I finally sent you the picture that inspired this piece that I read at the Gallery that night…it actually is a combination of several COMPASS AND CALENDAR articles (Free newspaper edited by Bill Ferry a few years ago), plus comments on my life during that year.

Sitting here in February with 5-8″ of rain coming and a week of gray and fog, I am yearning for those sunny flowers! We got lucky with a month of sun in January, though…spoiled with CA high 60’s!

4. This is just beautiful, Nancy! As I read it now, it’s even more meaningful because even though you have moved, you still have the house and can visit your garden. It’s always interesting to me how we work toward certain goals … and then life (God – Source – the Universe) steps in and shows us a better plan. Personally, I’m glad you’re still in Brookings! :-)!