The Christmas Without a Tree . . . by Leila

Published on: Author: bette 11 Comments

I was a missionary’s kid in Thailand many years ago.  This is a true story, and I have many more.  All of my stories and poems are true.   As they come up I tell them.  I want to have them recorded for my grandchildren.  My own children do not seem to be particularly interested in them.  They grew up with a multicultural mother, when what they wanted was a mom just like every one else had.  They call us TCKs now   — third culture kids.

CLICK HERE:   The Christmas Without a Tree

11 Responses to The Christmas Without a Tree . . . by Leila Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. I appreciated all who commented. I have my own point of view and it is unique because it is third culture, but then there are others who are multicultured, and their point of view will also be as unique to me as those who only lived in the USA and lived in the same town most of their lives. I found that point of view in my first husband who felt that the State of Washington was the center of the world and all things radiated out from there. Being able to appreciate our differences and why we think the way we do is very important.

2. Many of my childhood memories are some of the strongest and dearest. It is wonderful to remember when my parents wisdom and love was as big as life itself. Thanks for sharing your unique experience.

3. What a beautiful memory. I loved the description of your home and community, and as a child… how you quickly adjusted to the unique circumstances … it was completely normal. (Growing up American can interfere with the understanding that not everyone does things “our way”) It made me think of the Kingsolver book, Poisonwood Bible – but what a contrast!!

4. Yes, a sweet memory. I once spent Thanksgiving and Christmas in Alaska. Our cabin was too small to have a tree. And we were snowed in.–kathi

• Hi Kathryn — It is hard to realize that this was written two whole years ago and I am just getting back to answering you. I hope that your dreams are coming true and that you are happy and well.

5. This is a beautiful memory! I’d like to know more about your experience in Thailand as a child? My parents took me there when I was 16 . . . visiting missionary friends . . . and this brought back lots of memories for me. I kept a daily journal while we were gone and have thought about revisiting that for MANY years. Maybe it’s time?????

• Hi again, Leila . . .

Your story reminds me a bit of this Christmas. No tree – no family – but memorable just the same. We’re “camping” at our new place in Palm Desert and taking each moment as it comes.

I emailed you a response when I first read your story and I want to talk more about it when I get back to Brookings in April. My family took an extended trip “around the world” in 1962. We spent about two weeks in Thailand visiting several missionary families. I’ve got lots of slides of a school in Manarom (sp?) and a hospital in Cheing Mei (sp?). We visited the tourist sites in Bangkok and I brought back some beautiful Thai silk. My grandmother made into a dress that I wore on Christmas night when Richard took me to see “Cleopatra.”

This was your reply to that email:

My sister was in the hospital in Chianmai when she had polio and our good friend Dr. McDaniel was the doctor there. That was many long years ago. I was only 6 going on 7 when she got polio. She was paralyzed and learned to walk again in her bare feet on her roller skates. I have a picture of her with her chin out on those skates trying to walk.

I’m looking forward to revisiting this conversation when I get home!!!

• I just shared a memory on my Facebook site. It happened in Thailand and tells a bit about being sent to boarding school and how it affected me. I encourage you to revisit your journal and make a story out of it for your loved ones and friends and whomever. It also might be good fodder for a fictional work. I noticed that my tenses were off. I wonder if I could edit this piece.

• Hi again Leila!

I had forgotten this conversation when I just told you again about Thailand. You’re right – I really should revisit that journal … and maybe now that I’ve set up these blogs and have places to put the stuff I write I might do that.

I see that there were several comments on this piece … and then several replies to comments. I don’t know who is going to be notified when I post this. Kathryn and CJ also posted comments … but I don’t know if they will be notified since I’m not commenting on the post (The Christmas without a Tree) but rather to just one of the comments.

LOTS to learn here and I appreciate any help I can get :-)!

• I emailed you about editing “The Christmas without a Tree.” I can always replace the PDF … but for some reason I don’t have your original story. If it was on Facebook it’s probably still there …. Let me know.